25 January 2010

No school, no work, just a blizzard and frankenpolish.

    If you've ever been to North Dakota in the winter, you'll know that the weather is terrible: extremely cold (surprisingly today it is above zero... nine), and the wind can knock you on your rear before you're fully outside. Today is no exception. Blizzard, and not the kind that comes with cookie dough or m&ms in it. Just wind. At 30-40mph.

Here's a view from my bedroom window, though I wish you could see the wind:

   School was canceled about 20 minutes before I needed to be at class (I wasn't even gonna go) and work told me to make the safe choice. So I'm not traveling into town for that either.  What to do with my free day?

Why not mix some nail polishes together? Genius!

    In total I made three frankens today, tested out one I made but never tried, and experimented with layering two polishes. The first one I made today was a mix of Misa's Pour Me Something Tall and Strong and a Sally Hansen silver chrome. I wish it would have come out slightly darker but what can you do? That will be shown on my index finger. The second one was a mix of the same blue Misa and OPI's Banana Bandanna. A beautiful mint green! Very pleased! Shown on my ring finger.  And the third one I made was a mixture of an old pink diamond polish and an old orange creme. Both drugstore brands but I couldn't tell which ones. Made a bright peachy-orange glitter polish. I may add some pink to it later as I am not sure if I like it or not. This can be seen on my middle finger.

Now on my pinky is the very first franken I ever made and its also a mix of two or three drugstore brand polishes from a few years ago. No idea what they were. Its a light blue, slightly shimmery.

My thumb was the layering experiment. I layered a Pure Ice polish called Mint Dream (very sheer, iridescent) over e.l.f's Plum (dark purple, creme, gorgeous). Loved the result though it wasn't what I was expecting.
Please excuse the terrible state of the polish on my nails. I had just finished the final coat on each when I knocked over the Plum polish, spilling it on the floor. Actually my pants\slippers saved it from actually spilling out completely. In the scramble my nails got smudged. :(

With Flash:



 
Without Flash:
The blue on my index looks matte here but it actually looks more like it does in the first picture.
And just to show the effect on my thumb:
A nice flash of teal surrounded by plum. Do you like it? I think I do.

Now I'm off to paint some Shim-merry Chic onto my naked nails.
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I read every comment and appreciate you taking the time to write to me! Thanks so much! :)